Unique Decision Council for the Settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict
Unique Decision Council for the Settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict (full text)
The Unique Decision Council for the Settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict was proposed by Popular Front Party of Azerbaijan on 29 April 2016 at the conference devoted to the same initiative.
We propose setting up A Unique Decision Council for the Settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict in order to ensure the state interests of Azerbaijan and help the head of state to act in the peace negotiations over the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with the Republic of Armenia in the way so that the interests of all the layers of Azerbaijani nations are taken into account.
Armenia keeps the occupied lands under seizure, tries to maintain the status-quo in the negotiation process and this creates unjust and unfavorable conditions for Azerbaijan. This reason made Azerbaijan repeal the Renewed Madrid Principles that was put forward in 2009.
The prolonged unsuccessful negotiations, continuation of the peace talks under different initiatives and frameworks, maintenance of the status-quo gains Armenia a needed time. Since 21 May 1994 (cease-fire agreement), as a result of the violation of the cease-fire thousands of military and civic people were killed, Armenia never made a step to withdraw and OCSE Minsk Group also never made a strict statement to influence Armenia or never carried out any penal action towards the occupant. This behavior of OCSE Minsk Group was never approved by the Azerbaijani people and therefore there are calls to stop the OSCE Minsk Group mandate.
Azerbaijan president shows a resolve in the negotiation process as far as represents the right side, the side that has been subjected to aggression, but he faces pressures from the international organizations and OSCE member states. The above-mentioned entities do not make any difference between the occupied and the occupant. And most interestingly, the pressures pursue the policy of forcing Azerbaijan to make compromise, not Armenia.
We think that the unique position of all the people and political groups in Azerbaijan is able to strengthen the hands of the Azerbaijan president and others participating in the peace talks. This is also important that the potential peace agreement will not be used against the ruling power by other political forces and the agreement will represent the unified position of the most political forces and civil society organizations. This may create a positive turn for the establishment of the unique position among the domestic stakeholders and accelerate de-occupation and restoration of the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan. Armenia, however, may fall into an awkward position as an occupant.
It is important that all the political parties, civil society organizations, representatives of intelligentsia and other stakeholders have a Unique Position Paper. On one side, it is important to gain credibility to president to show a resolve and confidence with the belief that none of his decisions would bring to domestic political instability and power division within the country, on the other hand, the resolution of the conflict – de-occupation of the lands by Armenia would improve the socio-economic situation in the region and end the IDPs and refugees problems.
As a result, Azerbaijan participates in the negotiations with resolve and confidence and receives its strength from the Unique Decision Council that represents the whole nation.
Setting up of The Unique Decision Council for the Settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict
The aim and objective of The Unique Decision Council for the Settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict is to achieve the Nation and Statehood act together and work as one organism.
The Unique Decision Council for the Settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict does:
- The Unique Decision Council consists of the popular public and political figures, influential civil society originations, all the political parties, all the organizations that have clauses on Nagorno-Karabakh in their charters, MPs, influential intelligentsia and the respected elderly people from the occupied territories and 20-25 media chiefs;
- A Working Group is formed from the members within the Council that prepares a Unique Decision Paper;
- 3. The principles of the Unique Decision Council is built upon the territorial integrity of the states, national interests of the Republic of Azerbaijan, unconditional withdrawal of all Armenian troops from the occupied Nagorno-Karabakh and the regions beyond it guided by the international norms. The status to Nagorno-Karabakh is determined with concrete details with no damage to territorial integrity of Azerbaijan.
- Evaluation of the material and moral damages incurred to Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding regions by the Working Group and submission a unique document to the relevant international organizations followed by the preparation of the compensation paper to be paid by the aggressor state – Armenia. The Working Group invites the independent international auditors and evaluators for evaluation of the damages.
- To define the position of the Unique Decision Council on OSCE Minsk Group and send the Position Paper and potential recommendations to OSCE member states.
- Raising the UN’s four resolutions on unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from the Azerbaijan’s occupied lands before the international organizations in written format and expect their written answers. Upon receipt of the answers, they are made public to wider community in Azerbaijan and used in the country’s foreign diplomacy activities.
- The Unique Decision Council holds hearings with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on their Nagorno-Karabakh activities until today, prepares an evaluation and provides potential recommendations to the Ministry in the wave of a resolve and determined position by the Council.
- The Unique Decision Council declares open all the sides (countries or governments) that hamper with the resolution of the conflict.
- The Unique Decision Council sends the warning declaration expressing Azerbaijan’s irrefutable just position and reasoned appeal to the relevant international organizations, world organizations, governments of 193 states, presidents, parliaments and Ministries of Foreign Affairs and works to receive answers and makes them public.
- The Unique Decision Council decides for the negotiation timeframe and fixes ceasefire deadline. Then all the decisions are made public for the international community.
- The Unique Decision Council carries out the above-mentioned issues within the cease-fire’s determined timeframe or deadline.
- It is a precondition that all the participating members approve the unique adopted document as “Nagorno-Karabakh-Azerbaijan”.
- “Nagorno-Karabakh-Azerbaijan” Document adopted by the Unique Decision Council is signed by the head of state and obtains an official status.